Friday, August 19, 2011

Ode to Nana


The 15th anniversary of my grandmother's death was recently. She lived a long and happy life (up until she got sick with dementia the last several months of her life). She was almost 87, when she died, when I was just 13. I wrote a detailed post on my other blog, but I would like to include a poem here, that I wrote when I was just a young teenager, about a year after she died. Thanks, Nana, for all you did to make me a better person. I was so shy growing up that I didn't have a lot of friends, but you were always there for me to talk to growing up. I know you are smiling down on me with the angels. I know you are not just "resting in peace", you are dancing and clapping in praise to Jesus with all your might!

Nana's Song

Needing to hear some good advice

Needing to see a gentle face

I miss my Nana tonight

The smile of a happy greeting

The voice and the look of a deepful thought

Yes I miss her as I miss as I hear my Nana's song!

The song so full of love and beauty.


Together we hung the clothes across the line

Basking in the greatness of the simple moment

In the smells and love of summer sunshine

A ladybug landed upon the woven basket

“Look Nana” the child cried with glee

Oh yes, that is a little wingling.


In the excitement of the moment

The freshly cleaned linen dropped to the ground,fin

The child expected an angry word

But was held close in the loving arms of Nana

In that special way which makes a child feel like gold.


That night only one was willing to go

To go to her pretty church upon the hill

Arm in arm with Nana I proudly walked.

I hear her voice still as she said

This is my baby, my Libby's child.


The “Old Rugged Cross” we sang that night

Her voice so strong and sweet

She tells me of her Father's love

O how I miss her so!


Tonight, I miss the song of Nana

Wanting that heart to listen with care

Tonight I miss the different beauty

Strengthened by the wisdom's touch

Tonight I hear her singing

Singing with the angels

In our final home up in the sky!


No comments: